Saturday 3 February 2018

Preparing to depart Kupang

Once the decision was made that we were heading directly for Oz, only perhaps a month earlier than I had envisaged, there were a few things that I now needed to organize, not the least of which was going to be the importation of  K'Gari, to Australia.

The free trade agreement which exists between Australia and Vietnam, was the first thing I needed to deal with. Simple matter - well no, apparently not quite that simple. It turns out , un mentioned at the time I departed Vietnam , that yes there is  a free trade agreement , but whoopsie, it only lasts for 12 months. Particularly useful time to have that little gem revealed, when I contacted the manufacturer, to obtain the appropriate paperwork.
Looking on the bright side , I guess that the additional 5% I would be taxed when I arrived in Oz had saved me a few hours of paperwork- bargain - NOT!

Australian Border Force need a minimum of 96 hours notice and a few on line forms filled in, so that was done, but more pressingly I needed to find an import agent to assist with the actual importation side, of my arrival.

There are two ways I could have had K'Gari imported - have it shipped to Australia, when brand spanking new and simply hand over the document of sale, or the way I was doing it, sail it back myself, and upon arrival get a valuation of its worth by a qualified surveyor.
All I needed to do was find someone with suitable qualifications to do a survey and give me  a valuation -and attempt to initiate this  from Kupang, with dodgy internet.

An email to a friend gave me the name of the import agent, who in turn agreed to take on my importation.
The surveyor I would find when in Oz.

Half a day was spent obtaining the fuel we required. Peter took care of that, taking the gerry cans ashore and going with our man, to the fuel outlet- a service station, which boded well for getting clean diesel, although Peter was dropped off , discreetly within sight, but definitely not in the vehicle as the cans were filled. Two round trips, took care of that and we had full tanks and a spare 100litres to cover the 500 or so miles to Darwin.

Revictulling wasn't going to be an issue. We had stocked up with ham, bacon, salami products in Bali, when I had found then freely available, and knowing that the Quarantine regulations in Oz meant we would lose any uneaten fruit, veg, and meat products that were still on board, we were going to be on a fairly high meat, minimal veg and loads of fruit diet for the 4 or 5 days it would take to get from Kupang to Darwin.

No comments:

Post a Comment