Wednesday 19 July 2017

Still in Senibong



So I have decided to hop home for a couple of weeks, having found an incredibly competitive return fare ex Singapore with the flying Roo, whilst awaiting the arrival of my next scurvy crew.

Spent the day therefore, going through the spares- to make sure I have enough of things I might need. Boat spares , seem to be adequately accounted for, in the way of oil filters , o rings , and other bits and pieces, so from that respect not too much to cart back up with me when I return. It seems a pity to waste that 30kg luggage allowance!

A replacement for the D2 clutch which I destroyed with ineptitude of first class proportion, has been ordered- however I won't be fitting it unless I have to, as its going to mean dismantling deck heads I'm sure. However at least knowing the spare is on board and can (possibly/probably) be fitted , if push comes to shove , will make me feel better.

Chart card for Australia and NZ ordered. Both items I will pick up in Oz.

Whilst rifling through the spares I found the replacement drinking waterfilter, so  I  decide to change it. Better late than never. Although being a procrastinator (apparently), I definitely come from the school of – if its not broken don’t touch it, or words to that effect, as I  generally find that if/when I do touch things, it usually upsets the apple cart- to mix my metaphors totally!

Of course , the 5 min job took a bit longer than that. The replacement of the cartridge went swimmingly, but after it was all reassembled there was the predictable drip , which wasn't there when I started -apart from me of course! So after taking it apart three times and even checking some spare parts, to make sure I was actually assembling things correctly, it still dripped. Finally upon close inspection of my almost idjit proof plumbing parts, I noticed one 3 inch joining section of pipe (in the vicinity of the drip) was slightly scored. Replaced the section of pipe and voilà ,the water drip was no more. So another success chalked up.

I have obtained a usb GPS , through a mail order service here in Malaysia, which will allow me to operate my back up chart system on a windows 10 laptop, as the previous gps fails to fire on windows 10. Best thing was , amazingly, it was half the price of either Oz or Singapore , it arrived and it works!!!

View from above .Note the knitting design I have chosen for port side lines!
Took drone out of its cocoon and flew it to top of the mast for a quick remote inspection- works amazingly well, although my fine motor skills need improving when up close and personal with the mast.
up close and personal rigging inspection of the mast  from the deck- how cool is this?

Good morning, neighbours

I really need to think about which control I'm about to flick, so I don't fly it into the mast! Landed safe and sound on the tramp up forward.

Fridge man came to look at the cockpit fridge which has been troublesome since the beginning.It has been leaking refrigerant- sorry world atmosphere, not my fault, I didn't install it. It worked apparently ,sort of, when we left Vietnam, but not for long.Had it regassed in Phuket,again temp came down and it seemed to work until I left the boat in February. Since coming back it hasn't worked again, as apparently it was re-gassed but leak either wasn't found, or another one appeared.


Meticulous- James even brings his own carpet for his tool boxes!
James (fridge man ) is incredibly busy. He is a one man band ,and deals with fridges and air conditioners. There are a queue of customers, as there are three boats with fridge/freezer issues and two with air conditioner issues, and there only eight boats with people on board  the marina! He works incredibly long hours and is meticulous, so I hold great hope that this time the job has been done correctly. After a couple of  hours, cramped up in a small warm space, he turned it on and the temperature came down to a civilized 13 degrees on the lowest setting, and this morning I turned it up to max cool and with the outside air temperature hitting 31.8 degrees, the fridge had come down to 2.8degrees in three hours. The proof will be I how long it holds the pressure. James tells me he will check it until I go home on Sunday and then when I get back again, before I depart, we will be able to check again.


No comments:

Post a Comment