Friday 14 July 2017

Today's two stunning victories

STOP THE PRESS. Today using the magic of Skype and the goodwill and expertise of Peter the amazing electrician, I have reconnected  the fan in the saloon. Ta dah!

The fans had originally been installed  by Pete when he was on board, in Singapore  last year, after the trip across from KK. In January this year, it appeared to be surging so disconnected and taken back to Oz, when I went home .Vendor ran it in his premises for several days and could find no fault with it, so its back on board. The reason I took it back to Oz was, that both these fans have been replaced already, as they started to smell like electrical burning , and Pete had then disconnected them way back in May last year. I had returned to the boat in November with the replacements. One replacement (touch wood) is and has been running fine, the one in question not so good. Steve had refitted them in December when we were at the Similans and then in January it surged.
Its been in situ, since I refitted it in position , but never wired it in, when I returned 5 weeks ago. I think my views on electricity and my total absence of skill in this department have been mentioned previously.
To reiterate- I don't like it, as I can't see it and have no idea what I'm doing!

Following  another raging success story this morning , when I singlehandedly refilled 125 litres of diesel , from jerry cans via the good old jiggle hose, without spilling a drop- yes I will take a bow, on that one, as I have never done it by myself before, it was time to do the fan.

Why was it time today? Simply because for something completely different , it was pouring with rain at lunch time and the cabin was beginning to get a bit stuffy , without the aircon being kicked off ?

That's me under the red bit, which the graphics reveal to be 60mm/hr. It was belting down.
So I  took the saloon seating to pieces to inspect the job.Immediately my discerning eye noticed a problem.Although I know it was fitted and removed from the very same position, the wiring is now about 6 inches too short . No idea how that happened, but good o , enough reason not to continue with "mission clearly impossible".
Further pondering on the missing six inches finally produced a positive thought, "Skype  Pete". So I did, not that he would be able to throw any light on the mystery of the missing bit , but he would be able to tell me how to solve the problem for sure. True to form , the first questions he asked me , were;
"Do you have a multimeter?"
 "Yes!"
"Do you know how to use it?" .
As Peter and I go back a long way , I wont  print my actual reply here, I'll just diplomatically, for the sake of anyone who may actually be reading this, say, "no, not really".


Yes I know what it is -and now I know a bit more about
 how to actually use a multimeter
 So refresher course in use of multimeter for idjits, a bit of Skype footage beaming several thousand kilometers away to Oz , to remind him of how he ran the wiring in the first place, and we were away.

I now have two functioning fans. Hopefully it will remain so, and the mystery problem of the surging fan will not resurface.
Note the useful array of handy tools, screwdrivers,stanely knife, cutters,and multimeter and loose wire on the leather seating!


Winners are grinners!  
Note the sunsafe "safety" hat being worn inside!
A girl can never be too safe when dealing with the mystery of electricity!



No comments:

Post a Comment