Wednesday 23 November 2016

Just can't buy any decent wind.

We departed Penang at 0500 and arrived at 1635 in "the fjord" anchorage.
Being an optimist ,possibly sometimes, heaven forbid, being wrongly interpreted as "pig headed", we persevere with  the daily exercise of setting the sails.

However I just can't seem to buy any wind from the right direction.

At least the wind had now decreased to light Northerlys which , despite being on the nose again/still, at least keeps us cool.It was also pleasantly  overcast all day, with a low Northerly swell rolling through.
The jib is furled and unfurled several times a day depending on how much the wind swings.Most of it to be honest is "apparent wind", just caused by us motoring. The exercise however should help, (perhaps) - its good resistance training I'm sure, winding that winch handle.I definitely feel it in my stomach muscles, each time I return on board.

Snug as a bug in the anchorage, we lowered the dinghy and went for what is officially described as "fang", Checked out a few nearby potential anchorages, for other occasions and wind conditions.

In the meantime 'Lumbaz' had arrived - the family I mentioned before.This time I visited them, to find out their success or otherwise, at getting ashore from the Junk Anchorage at Penang.

The solution, which apparently worked,  was  sending a child ahead, to ask permission from the elderly Chinese man she encountered, to tie up the dinghy whilst the family went ashore to eat. Simple, perhaps I joked, all I need to do, is find a spare child! However perhaps, the child is not really necessary, I shall try it myself when K'Gari passes south again.

No comments:

Post a Comment