Wednesday 23 November 2016

The saga of the dinghy tube covers


Ever since I have had K'Gari- in fact even before she was mine, I wanted the dinghy to have canvas covers on the hypalon floatation  tubes.

Ian, who had been on board last January for the trip up the Klias River, had told me about them when I was still in the ordering stage. I had asked for them to be supplied, but either it was forgotten or not understood, despite my explanation.

The result being that for some 17 months the hypalon has been exposed to the ravages of the equatorial sun. Looking at how quickly the sail ties deteriorated and the originally supplied fender ropes, it's a pretty savage sun.

The first time I left to go home I covered the dinghy with an all encompassing light weight cover that came with it. The result was not brilliant, as I failed completely with my first attempt to support the cover, to prevent it becoming, as it quickly did that very first night - an inbuilt swimming pool!
before the rain
after the first shower -instant swimming pool


How it should be done.



https://youtu.be/YVa-H7lID_c



Things improved after adding a supporting span underneath the cover to allow it to shed the water.

 When I had been in Langkawi in June, I had  made  tentative arrangements to get the tube covers I was after, commissioned next time I was in the area. There had not been enough guaranteed time to get it done on the first occasion. Late October , early November, I was assured would be fine. The company which came with the best recommendation for the work was located in Telega Harbour. So that was our destination the next morning, when we departed "the Fjord".

Arriving and anchoring outside, went ashore for a coffee and some pastries for brekky, at a cafe located conveniently close near by my ultimate destination.

 Of course the boss man "not in" , when we arrived , but an offsider thought it might be possible, but no guarantee and the boss would call me back when he got back in to the office. Oh sure! Of course they would need the dinghy for a few days to do the job.....understandable. Originally I had been told they had a substitute dinghy, I could borrow, so no problems there. It still meant we could go anchor around the islands if we wanted to.

Next stop was the marina at Telega , which would be the most convenient place to stop, if the work could be done. "No room in the inn".

Next plan. Fuel up at Telega, find out if Royal Langkawi had room- they did. Shift to Royal Langkawi!
By the time we had fuelled up it was close to 4pm, so we decided to stay the night at anchor. No phone call, needless to say.
Next morning relocated to Royal Langkawi. Organised a car for three days.
Following day, set out on our circuit exploration of the island. The first destination being the cable car at Telega. A quick stop over to  see if the boss had in fact returned, confirmed that no the covers weren't going to be possible, as" they were really pretty busy, and rather than say yes and let me down"..........So that was taken care of.





2 comments:

  1. But......we did get tonic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed- I had forgotton to mention that very salient fact. Mission accomplished! Fuel and tonic water both available at Telega.Perhaps that was the real reason we stayed the night at anchor!

    ReplyDelete